During this 2020 Season of Creation (Sept. 1- Oct. 4), take some time to read, reflect on resources that will be highlighted weekly by the JPIC office. Please click here for a running list, and see below for resources that are new this week:
View the webinar “Climate Change, Our Faith Values, and 2020”, which was hosted by Interfaith Power & Light, Catholic Climate Covenant, and Young Evangelicals for Climate Action. This webinar equipped attendees on how to effectively hold ‘courageous conversations’ with their faithful family, friends, and colleagues about the importance of caring for Creation and voting our values.
Dr. Katharine Hayhoe, PhD, endowed professor of political science and director of the Climate Center at Texas Tech University and Susan Hendershot, president of Interfaith Power and Light
International Day of Peace
The International Day of Peace, September 21, 2020, is observed by all in our SSND Shalom Networks around the world. This year, a video/prayer for this day has been created under the leadership of our JPIC and Communications Departments. With the collaboration of the Shalom International Coordinator, it has been translated into the languages of SSND so that all of us can pray “as one” for peace in our day. Please download the Video Prayer and Reflection resource. All Sisters, Associates and Staff are encouraged to use this prayer on or around the Sept 21st Day of Peace.
Related: This year the UN celebrates 75 years. Women religious and their representatives discuss feats and failures at the UN here.
World Day for Migrants and Refugees
On Sept. 27, we celebrate the World Day for Migrants and Refugees and recommit to standing in solidarity with them. The theme this year is “Forced Like Jesus Christ to Flee.” Please make use of the resources below to learn, pray, and act!
• Reflect on Pope Francis’s Message for the World Day of Migrants and Refugees
• Visit the Vatican's Migrants and Refugees Section, sign up for their resources and view their videos addressing sub-themes of WDMR.
• “To Know in Order to Understand”
• “To Be Close in Order to Serve”
• “To Listen in Order to Be Reconciled”
• “To Share in Order to Grow”
• Review the Immigration Committee’s backgrounder on DACA, and learn what you can do to stand with Dreamers in the U.S.
• Review the resources prepared by AMSSND committees on Refugees and Water, Immigration, and Human Trafficking.
• Urge your Representatives to welcome and support migrants and refugees. In the United States, visit our Voter Voice page to send pre-written messages on a number of issues, including welcoming more refugees and providing pandemic relief for immigrants and refugees. In Canada, take action for Refugee Rights.
Black Lives Matter Rally: Sisters and Associates recently participated in another Black Lives Matter Rally in Baltimore last weekend. There will be another on September 26 from 11am-noon—if you are in the area, please join them! (Baltimore School Administration, 200 E. North Ave.) Bring a sign, wear a mask, and maintain social distancing. For more information call or email Ryan Sattler – email@example.com/ 717-891-6156.
In Case You Missed It...
Read All About It
Check out Kathleen Bonnette’s (JPIC) newly-published series in U.S. Catholic, “Now is the Time for a Catholic Political Vision.” and "This election season, don't let culture wars define Catholic advocacy".
Make sure to visit our Read All About It page to stay up to date on publications by sisters, associates, and staff