TORONTO, ONTARIO/FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE/ JULY 5, 2021:
Twenty-one Catholic congregations of men and women religious across Canada have signed a letter to the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops (CCCB) calling on them to demonstrate “clear and courageous leadership” in developing a National Catholic Reconciliation Plan.
As Catholics invested in the reconciliation process, we see as vital next steps that you:
- Support the Indigenous invitation to the Holy Father, as the spiritual leader of the Catholic Church, to come and deliver a formal apology in person.
- Encourage openness and transparency in the disclosure of all outstanding records and information about the running of residential schools.
- Develop and fund a national and Indigenous-led Catholic reconciliation plan that:
- addresses intergenerational trauma
- supports survivors
- supports the reclamation of Indigenous language and culture
- creates educational and awareness-raising materials to decolonize our minds and hearts, and
- produces other programs essential to the healing process.