Fratelli Tutti, new encyclical by Pope Francis
Pope Francis released his new encyclical, Fratelli Tutti, “On Fraternity and Social Friendship,” on October 4th. The new encyclical builds on themes he has emphasized throughout his papacy, such as interconnectedness, encounter, openness, and dialogue, and makes the case that these values should characterize our approach to social and political structures, as well as interpersonal relationships.
- Click here for a reflection by Kathleen Bonnette, Th.D. (Assistant Director, JPIC)
- Click here for a study guide by Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns
- Click here to listen to this ‘Inside the Vatican’ podcast: ‘Fratelli Tutti’ in 5 minutes
Consider attending Kairos Canada’s virtual For the Love of Creation: Fall Forum Series (every Monday evening at 7:30pm EST): Nov 2nd: Communicating Climate Change; Nov 9th: Advocating for Climate Justice; Nov 16th: Grieving, Healing, and Connecting with Creation; Nov 23rd: Creation Care: A Letter of the Faithful; Nov 30th: Climate Action Now!
October is Fair Trade Month in the United States!
- Watch this short video: https://www.fairtradecertified.org/the-difference
- Look for these symbols when making purchases!
- The human trafficking committee invites you to consider signing the Traffickinghub petition to Shut Down Pornhub and Hold Its Executives Accountable for Aiding Trafficking. “Pornhub, the world's largest and most popular porn site, has been repeatedly caught enabling, hosting, and profiting from videos of child rape, sex trafficking, and other forms of non-consensual content exploiting women and minors.”
In Case You Missed It...
Consider attending Harm, Healing, and Human Dignity: An All-Virtual Catholic Conference on Restorative Justice, hosted by the Catholic Mobilizing Network (October 27, 29, and 31). “Restorative justice is a way of understanding crime and harm in terms of the people and relationships impacted, rather than the law or rule that was broken. Restorative practices seek to repair harm through transformative encounters that model Jesus’ reconciling way. A lived expression of Catholic Social Teaching principles, restorative justice offers a framework for transforming relationships and systems that values human dignity, accountability, healing, and racial equity.”
Check out the Immigration Committee’s new voting guide, and remember to vote on or before November 3!